Up-Cycling and Up-Sizing: Cutting out

in Entertaining nonsense and profound thought

So the first thing I did was to decide that I needed a four inch panel added on each side to make the shirt big enough. This was an educated guess based on how tight the shirt was to begin with. Looser is always better – unless it’s falling off. So I cut two panels, each four inches wide and longer than the length of the side seems.

more cutting out

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then I decided a matching collar and front placket would look nice too. So I cut a narrow strip for the front placket:

cutting out 5

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I traced the collar of the shirt onto an old manilla envelope so I’d have a pattern of sorts to use to match the collar:

pattern making 3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I folded the pattern in half and cut it out so it would be¬†symmetrical. Don’t know why my hand looks purple!

Pattern making

 

 

 

 

 

 

I traced the pattern onto the wrong side of the fabric and then cut out leaving a seem allowance. If you look carefully you can see the pencil marks.

cutting out 4

cutting out collars

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next time – attaching the collar. It’s easy peasy!

Share The Love:
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • FriendFeed
  • Google Buzz
  • SheToldMe
  • LinkedIn

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

londonmabel March 8, 2013 at 4:42 am

I’m just learning to sew on a machine this year (besides the basics I learned in high school.) I’m having lots of fun! I’m NOT yet at upcycling shirts, lol

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: