The Send A Betty To Belfast Contest!
Want to win a two week trip to Scotland and Ireland leaving July 9, 2017?
SUBMISSIONS FOR 2017 OPEN February 8, 2017
- One trip to Scotland and Ireland leaving on July 9 and returning on July 23, 2017. There is no cash value to this reward. Winner must travel with the existing group. Included items are to be found here: kategeorge.grouptoursite.com. The winner is responsible for all additional costs including passport fees, transportation from their home to the airport and some meals on the tour.
- International contestants: If you are traveling from the USA or Canada Flights are included. All other international travelers will have to arrange their own flights, and will be responsible for flight costs over $1000.
- Publication of Winning Story on the Notes from the Madhouse blog
- You Entry must include either a piece of sudden fiction – a story of 1000 words or less, OR an essay describing why you would want to go on a research trip with a writer (Kate George) also less than 1000 words AND a $35 entry fee.
- Submission period opens on February 8, 2017.
- Send your submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the physical address below.
- Type “Send a Betty to Belfast” in the subject line. (Without it, attachments will not be opened.)
- Include your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address, as well as your story title and word count in the main body of your e-mail or letter.
- Send your story as an attachment in Word format, double-spaced. If you are mailing a letter your story or essay must be on a separate sheet of paper from your personal information.
- The attachment will be coded to provide anonymity and be sent on to the judges. Therefore, your name should not appear anywhere in the attachment.
- We will promptly acknowledge the receipt of your submission.
- The entry fee is $35 and may be paid by check or paypal.
Checks should be mailed to:
Send a Betty to Belfast
c/o Kate George, Mystery Writer
PO Box 1027
South Royalton, VT 05068
or pay now by credit card or your paypal account:
- Multiple entries are allowed, but each entry must be accompanied by an entry fee and a unique story or essay.
- Deadline for submission is midnight on March 8, 2017.
All monies received over and above the cost of the prize will be used to fund the Send a Betty to Belfast Go Fund Me project (https://funds.gofundme.com/dashboard/BettytoBelfast). If less than one hundred Entries are received the contest board reserves the right to declare the contest void and return the entry fees and stories returned to the contestants.
The Go Fund Me Campaign:
My name is Kate George, and I’m a mystery author. I’m starting a new series about a reluctant travel coordinator who runs into murder and mayhem, but I can’t very well write about traveling, can I? But this isn’t a fundraiser about me.
The thing about travel, besides being fun, is that it’s mind expanding. Experiencing other cultures has a way of opening up our minds to other possibilities, and connecting us with other people across the world. And so many people can’t afford to travel.
I’m bringing one woman, someone I know who couldn’t afford to go with me under normal circumstances, but who needs some time away and would benefit not only from a break from her daily responsibilities but also could use the experience of another culture, new places and the company of other travels like herself.
But I can only help one woman, and there are so many more who would benefit from a break from their day to day lives. This is where you come in. I want you to help me bring more women on this trip.
For Every $5000 raised I can pay for one person for 15 days to Scotland and Ireland. They will have a few expenses, like getting a passport, and the extra meals and I’ve factored that in. If you go to http://kategeorge.grouptoursite.com/ you can see the details of the trip and expenses. The final payment is due in May 2017, but I will need the entire amount before I can make a reservation, so if you are thinking of donating don’t delay!
Not only will I be thankful for your help, but you will also be part of a team of people doing something wonderful for a woman who wouldn’t otherwise be able to experience this kind of travel. You’ll be making the world just that much better.
How will I decide who to take? I have a network of trusted friends who I will ask to nominate women who they feel would benefit. If we have more applicants than available scholarships we’ll vote. I don’t know a better way to manage this. Do you?