So Sonja Foust, THE Pintester, sort of challenged her readers to test a pin. Click here to see what she and the other testers are up to today. Recently I heard on the radio how birdbaths attract birds (duh), and as I can’t have my feeders out in the summer because of the BEAR, I’ve decided a birdbath may be the ticket. And along came Sonja’s Challenge, just the thing to make me do it.
First of all, you can’t look at my dirty house. I can’t be expected to actually do a pin if I have to clean my house first. Sorry, but that’s the truth of it. Also I did this on my Birthday, and there is no way in H E double toothpicks I’m going to clean house on my birthday.
This is the original idea. Don’t expect mine to come out looking anything like this. I tend to be a little “unique” in my production of things. This Birdbath is pretty and blue, I like it.
I sort of knew what I wanted to do, but this particular pot lid was giving me fits. It’s nice and heavy and would make a great base – but flip it over and it makes a pretty good bowl for the birdbath. I decided to go with the base. I just had a feeling about it.
That’s when I noticed the silicone I bought wasn’t paint-able Poop! My plan was to paint the thing blue like the one above. Well maybe it wouldn’t matter. Or maybe I wouldn’t paint it. I’d wait and see. Going to the hardware store to get the right stuff was not in the plan. I’d have to take a shower and get dressed, and no way was I doing that. It was my birthday. Although I will admit to showering before I went out to dinner.
I glued my choice on (you may notice I’m not very good with glue here.) and then fiddled with options for the next few while waiting for it to set. If you look carefully you will see my helper sitting on the couch with her stick.
Here’s a little slide show of me fiddling about:
Only it takes 24 hours to cure, so then I threw caution to the wind and just started gluing with abandon. Look ma, I’m
getting better more creative with the glue. OMG – DO Not LOOK at my house. It’s the dog. The dog dragged crap all over. That is not my shoe. Time to look at the NEXT picture!
I got to this point and realized I should have glued it together outside. It was going to be too big to move. Drat.
So I glued the next two levels separately so that I could assemble outside in the garden.
You may have noticed that another platter appeared out of nowhere. I had it already and decided it
needed to be used belonged in this project. I waited until I could pretty safely move the pieces outside, which luckily coincided with the rain finally stopping. I glued the last two pieces on and voila!
A beautiful glass birdbath! And it was almost ridiculously easy, too!