Katie Lane’s Top 5 Cowboy Foods
- Steak. In Texas, people are serious about their beef. When I was doing research for my Deep in the Heart of Texas series, my husband and I stopped by a restaurant in Amarillo for dinner. While we were enjoying our perfectly cooked steaks, the owner came by. Once he found out I was a writer, he sat down and chatted about his beef for a good hour. I loved it!
- Beans. In the southwest where I live, pinto beans are a mainstay. If you add a little pork, they’re all you need for a meal—that and a chunk of buttered cornbread. We also put them in salads, soups, tacos, burritos, and tostadas.
- BBQ. Who doesn’t love big ol’ platters of barbeque ribs, brisket, chicken, and sausage served up family-style with bowls of potato salad, beans, and coleslaw? Not to mention the peach cobbler for dessert.
- Chicken Fried Steak. This is a little different than grilled steak because it’s coated with egg, buttermilk, and flour, and then deep fat fried. In my fictional town of Bramble, Josephine makes the best chicken fried steak this side of the Pecos. You can get it and all the town gossip at Josephine’s Diner.
- Banana Moon Pies. Now I’m not real sure if this is a cowboy treat, but my heroine in The Last Cowboy in Texas, Starlet Brubaker, loves them. And after kissing her, Beckett Cates gets a real hankerin’ for the pies himself.
Thanks for having me, Kate! I enjoyed stopping by!
Country music princess Starlet Brubaker has a sweet tooth for moon pies and cowboys: both are yummy-and you can never have just one. Now Beckett Cates may not be a cowboy, but he certainly has the heart, soul-and body-to whet her appetite. He’s a sexy ex-Marine with a touch hotter than the scorching Texas sun and arms strong enough to catch her when she lands into trouble.
Playing bodyguard to America’s sweetheart isn’t easy for Beckett. But falling for her sure is. Unfortunately, Starlet has a reputation for keeping a guy or two wrapped around her finger and Beckett refuses to be anybody’s backup. So now it’s up to Starlet to prove that she’s put her cowboy-crazy days behind her. Otherwise, she’ll be singing solo instead of living in harmony with the man who’s loved her even before her fame and fortune.
About Katie Lane
Katie Lane is the USA Today bestselling author of the Deep in the Heart of Texas and Hunk for the Holiday series. Katie lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and when she isn’t writing, enjoys reading, going to the gym, golfing, traveling, or just snuggling next to her high school sweetheart and cairn terrier Roo.
Learn more about Katie Lane at: